Why Is Punctuation So Important?
Punctuation: is it really just nitpicking? No. In fact, punctuation is the foundation of our communication system. A comma in a crucial place can make the difference between one meaning and another, as you’ll see. We’ve developed the punctuation system we have over the years to convey certain meanings, and if you don’t use it correctly, you’ll find yourself in the unenviable position of being a poor communicator. To be efficient, hireable, and a good writer, you need to do punctuation check.
How Bad Punctuation Can Affect Your Life
If it’s so important, what effects can punctuation have on your life? We will show you with this list.
- Misunderstandings: It’s been said that punctuation is the difference between “let’s eat, Grandma!” and “let’s eat Grandma”. As you can see, its crucial to use punctuation right if you want to avoid misunderstandings!
- Poor grades: If you’re a student, you need good punctuation. Teachers care about it and thus you should too. Your grades can impact your future: employers want to see that you were competent and kept up.
- Lack of work: Did you know most employers will throw resumes with bad punctuation straight into the “get rid of pile” automatically? To get a good job, you need a good resume, and that needs to be written well.
- Bad reputation: When you get right down to it, punctuation is the difference between a good reputation and a bad one. Right or wrong, people think good punctuation makes you smart. If you’re bad at it – well, you do the math.
Punctuation Jokes to Lighten the Mood
Now that we’ve been doom and gloom about your use of punctuation, check out these funny misuses to make you feel better and take comfort that you’ll probably never be as bad as this!
1. One sign read, “Garages in use illegally parked cars will be clamped.”
2. “Please use caution when hunting pedestrians using walk trails”, warned one sign.
3. One Sonic advertised, “Try our $199 hot dogs!”
4. One website advertised “sushi”, with quotation marks around the word.
5. One celebrity was said to find inspiration in “cooking her family and her dog”.
6. A sign advertising a sale: “Big sale “BRA” 4 for$10, “underwear” 10 for $10.”
7. Do not use Ronny, said one note, leading the viewer to question what one would use him for.
8. “Dear parents,” advised a sign “Do not forget the Cookie’s.”
9.“There’s is no place like home”, read one sign.